> On 19 Feb 2015, at 21:09, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> if we'd like to have Array.empty, Function.empty, String.empty and friends,
> what's wrong with having these as we always had already: as prototypes?

I find it more self-explanatory. Here, prototypes are taking on a role that
they don’t usually have: they are empty instances of “their” constructors.

A much more important reason, though, is that you want to freeze everything
`*.empty`, because these instances will get shared and then mutability is a
problem. However, you can’t freeze `Array.prototype`.

Greetings,

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer