There is a trap one could fall into, after reading one "classic" or even
"authoritive" book. After that it might seem one understood the essence of
everything.

For fairness, there were couple of valid points noticed:
composition/aggregation (will be achieved, and already now can be, by
mixins), and, probably, that you'll have to refactor call sites if you
decide to switch to the raw factory (that's why eg Python chose to
instantiate without 'new' keyword).

Other than that, yes, factory is just a desugarred class pattern, and yes,
sugar matters if you want to design a practical language. In case of
class-based code reuse, prototypes were also desugarred version of it
(that's why JS at some point was "unexplained", and as a result made it
harder to be practical quicker). Eg in my class I give prototypes as an
advanced topic now, since it's just an implementation detail (the same
again as in Python, which is also delegation-based).

The most valuable advice would be from Eric Arvidsson - just to design your
language (likely, to be a "compiler" writer is easier nowadays), and
exactly there you'll see how sugar matters.

Dmitry