On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 2:21 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
> For custom elements in DOM there's a proposal to have the constructor
> be controlled by the user agent and have some kind of callback that
> actually initiates the element. This has some advantage in that it
> allows the script to load lazily while the parser continues running.
>
> However, if the user agent always invokes the constructor, would that
> exclude us from new features? E.g. I could imagine private data
> properties to be an allocation affair of sorts.
>
> (Note: I'm not personally pushing this design, I'm just exploring the
> consequences.)

To clarify, since this was not completely clear, the question is
whether anything other than object allocation will be allowed only
through a constructor? That is, do any JavaScript language designers
have plans to restrict certain object functionality to constructors,
or will constructors only ever be responsible for object allocation
and nothing else?

The answer to this question would greatly impact the way we make DOM
extensible. And given that we plan to decide on that in three weeks
time any quick answer would be appreciated. Thanks!

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/