I think it would be more worthwhile of we tried to draw a compatibility
boundary.  Taking perlre as a baseline, for example, are there additional
characters we should escape in `RegExp.escape` so that implementations (and
the language itself) could add more perlre features without breaking
compatibility?  The `(?...)` syntax (and flags) seems to be the de facto
extension point, can we protect that more narrowly?
  --scott