On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Domenic Denicola <d...@domenic.me> wrote:

> To be explicit: there is no way to look at a string of JavaScript text and
> tell whether it should be treated as a module or a script. In many
> instances the same string can be treated as both.

> The decision is made by the execution environment.

I don't think Domenic meant that the standard explicitly states that the
execution environment may choose the parse method.  Rather that the context
of loading the code determines the parsing method.

I believe that the current status is that the standard describes the two
parsing methods but says nothing about when they will be applied. We do
know that <script> tags always parse as Script.  Of course, modules
imported by import statements are parsed as Module.   Sadly, as far as I
know, there is no standard way to import a ES2015 root module. The
discussions on modules imply that there will be an explicit "loader" import
function that will parse as Module and there has been discussion of <script
type="module"> and <module> but these proposals are moving slowly if at all.