SIMD types appear almost as limited in size as using numbers. Often I need to
manipulate thousands or millions of bits efficiently so fumbling around with
numbers is messy.

I've looked at several implementations on npm but none seemed very mature or
standard.

I guess it's philosophical as much as anything. In my mind the heart of
programming is bits and bytes so I find it odd that most programming languages
treat bits and bytes as strange uncles. In my mind all other data types are
derived from bits and bytes so it should be possible to easily derive my own
types this way or see the bits behind the types that are built-in.

In this case I'm implementing a bit index (which is something I use a lot) for
quickly finding relationships in complex data. Often I want to mess with bits
for working with specifics of file formats and network protocols. When working
with large numbers it's nice to not worry about limits. And I work directly
with bits when doing electronics.

I'm not surprised that it's not supported but it seemed to go with the idea of
a byte array so I was hopeful. And it seems more generally useful than things
like SIMD types.

Thanks,
Michael McGlothlin
Sent from my iPhone