I probably have a terrible understanding of how this all works at a low
level but I feel like a potential solution would be a method of "upgrading"
a non-proxy object to be a proxy. The reason accessors are being used as
they are now is because you can retro fit them. Maybe what I am suggesting
is essentially like swapping out the internal pointer of an object with
another object (such as the way live module bindings work). In this way you
might upgrade an existing object to behave like a proxy.

- Matthew Robb