Proxies can do a better, more thorough job of breaking encapsulation.

```js
var log = [];
String = new Proxy(String, {
  construct(target, newTarget, args) {
    log.push(args);
    return Reflect.construct(target, newTarget, args);
  }
});

(function () {
  var s = String;
  var private = function () { return new s("cat"); }
  var public = function () { return private(); }
  return public;
})()
```

There's no equivalent with Object.observe. I could also redefine String as
a sloppy mode function and use `arguments.callee` or
`Function.prototype.callee` to get the `private` function, which would even
work in ES3. There's ways to break encapsulation already, that don't
involve Object.observe. And you can't observe references purely contained
within a closure.