Not convinced. Failed to see any reason why this proposal could force its
way through this time after repeatedly being raised from dead only to be
put down time after time. I don't see any new, convincing rationales here.
On the other hand I can give out two reasons on why we don't need this
thing fair quickly:

1.
```
// This is sooooo unambiguous everyone who knows programming can read this
const config = config || {};

// No true for this one as pointer out in previous discussions as well as
the Ruby article you mentioned
const config ||= {};
```

2.
Honestly? Why are codes like this being written?

```
var config = {flag: true};
config = config || {};

function f (config) {
  const config = config || {};
}
```

I always write things like this:

```
var config = {flag: true} || {};

function f (config = {}) {
```

Can't remember any instance where I've written something like `x = x || {}`
after the introduction of Default Parameters in ES6, so I don't see any
chance for me writing something like `x ||= {}` even if this thing somehow
makes its way in.

The thing is, it's far more common to encounter codes like `x = y || {}`,
and then a new Default Operator would make sense due to the issue with
falsy values. So I'd throw my support behind an authentic Default Operator
proposal like `x = y ?? {}` (
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:default_operator). But
definitely not `||=`.