We are just talking on how we can enhance JS without “breaking the web”. And
the solution we are talking about is to make a major revision of JS (JS version
2), instead of breaking the current one (JS version 1).

From: Brendan Eich [mailto:brendan.e...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:51 PM
To: Alexander Craggs <alexan...@debenclipper.com>; doodad-js Admin
<dooda...@gmail.com>; es-discuss@mozilla.org
Subject: Re: FW: Removal of language features

This thread makes me want to unsubscribe from es-discuss. I think I recreated
the list. :-(

Please read https://esdiscuss.org/topic/no-more-modes and
https://esdiscuss.org/topic/use-es6-any-plans-for-such-a-mode#content-2.

"Don't break the web" is not some vague high-minded notion of TC39's. It's a
consequence of hard-to-change browser-market game theory. No browser wants to
risk (however small the risk) breaking what might be more of the web than one
thinks at first. It's very hard to find out what "the web" is and prove absence
of breakage (paywalls, firewalls, archives, intranets, etc.). There's very
little gain and potentially much pain, which could mean support calls and
market share loss.

This is not just a browser market failure. Developers don't want their code
broken, until they stop using something and then ask for it to be removed. That
is not globally coordinated so it won't fly, as browser market share depends in
part on developer testing and use of browsers. Ecosystem effects mitigate
against breaking the web in deep ways, _in general_.

Yet ECMA-262 has broken compatibility in a few edge cases. And browser
competition led to some dead limbs and underspecified pain-points (e.g., global
object prototype chain).

And Google people seem to be leading the Web Intervention Community Group,
which wants to break the web a bit (rather than block 3rd party ad/tracking
scripts :-P). So perhaps we can break some DOM APIs such as sync touch events,
without also breaking gmail :-). The jury is still out in my view, but Chrome
has enough market power to push and assume more risk than other browsers.

Core language changes are different in kind from sync touch events. It's very
hard to plan to remove anything on a practical schedule or order-of-work basis.
Engine maintainers likely still hate more modes, and users should too. New
syntax as its own opt-in still wins, although this obligates TC39 to work on
future-proofing, e.g., : after declarator name in declaration for type
annotation syntax.

So based on 22+ years doing JS, I believe anything like opt-in versioning for
ES4, a la Python3 or Perl6, is a non-starter. Period, end of story.

Ok, I'm not unsubscribing -- but I hope more people read and search
https://esdiscuss.org/ and engage with history instead of coming as if to a
blank slate. Santayana's dictum applies.

/be

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM Alexander Craggs <alexan...@debenclipper.com