"ES5 functions" - by which you mean, *normal* functions - are not
"outmoded", they remain necessary for any use case where `this` needs to be
determined at invocation time.

Nothing should ever produce an arrow function without `=>`; and exports
assuming `const` is an interesting idea, but explicit > implicit, and
"typing less" is simply not a goal worth optimizing for by itself.