The capabilities of the language itself are growing with each version. It's not that the first version of JavaScript would not be appropriate for today's web applications, but since we identify regular patterns in a language, we are able to add more layers of abstraction. But not only syntactic features can be abstracted to describe what the programmer wants with as little code as possible to give the engines more room for optimization, also the standard library should get extended. And I mean, it gets extended quite a lot - so tensors could be just one of these additions.

The link of J Decker is a good starting reference https://github.com/yiransheng/tensor-ops-js

It's not hard to use the features of JavaScript to implement a library like this. The hard part is to make an API like this as fast as possible to meet future demands for web applications. And this is the purpose of a standard library: 1) Providing regular functionalities without the need of external dependencies (e.g. libraries) and 2) Making them as fast and accurate as possible on a given machine.

And I think all these points make tensors a good fit for Web Assembly.

Robert