I've used this pattern exactly twice in the large-scale app I'm working on
now.
One of those I was able to eliminate after I thought harder about the
problem.
The other I eventually replaced with the following kind of pattern:

```
function createPromise(resolver, rejector) {
  return new Promise((resolve, reject) {
    resolver.then(resolve);
    rejector.then(reject);
    });
}
```

Obviously the way this works it that to create a promise "controllable"
from "the outside",
you create your own resolver and rejector promises to pass to
`createPromise`,
such that they trigger when you need them to.
To put it a different way, instead of getting back and passing around
deferred-like objects,
which seems to be a massive anti-pattern to me,
the client creates their own promise-controlling promises designed to
trigger at the right time.

Bob