> I guess what confused me is that it would detect a [[NumberData]]
internal slot, but instead of unboxing to that value it tries to ducktype
call .valueOf on the object. So the presence of [[NumberData]] changes the
behavior even if it does not actually use this value.

This surprised me too initially, but I think we can infer a rationale if we
read between the lines a bit. A similar pattern appears in the JSON
stringify algorithm itself (as opposed to the SerializeJSONProperty
algorithm) when interpreting the "space" argument. So it might seem to be
that it’s a peculiarity of how JSON-related operations are defined — but I
don’t think that’s the pattern. What these two cases have in common is that
either a numeric value or a string value would be valid: neither hint would
be more correct. In the case of SerializeJSONProperty, this is because both
string values and numeric values are valid JSON values; in the case of
stringify’s space argument, it’s because this is overloaded to either
specify a number of spaces or a whitespace string. In the absence of a
reason to weight one to-primitive operation over another, it sniffs for the
singular unambiguous clue about type that’s really available, the slot.

Why doesn’t it then just use the slot value directly? Because this would
depart from expectations about the @@toPrimitive / toValue / toString
contract that is honored everywhere else, I believe.