---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michael Lewis <m...@lew42.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 2:34 PM
Subject: The world is broken, will you help me fix it?
To: <pe...@foundersfund.com>, <n...@foundersfund.com>, <k...@foundersfund.com>,
<ge...@foundersfund.com>, <napol...@foundersfund.com>, <
sc...@foundersfund.com>, <br...@foundersfund.com>, <t...@foundersfund.com>,
<k...@foundersfund.com>, <br...@foundersfund.com>, <
inquir...@eric-weinstein.net>

Hello world,

I have a vision.  It is the Truth.

[image: image.png]

*The short version*: we need better design, development, data, versioning,
collaboration, management, and decision making tools.  If we rebuild the
software design and development experience from the bottom up, we'll be
able to create 10x better software, 10x faster, 10x cheaper.

*Michael Lewis*‏  (me)@mlew42 <https://twitter.com/mlew42>
> More
>
> @peterthiel <https://twitter.com/peterthiel> just watched your chat with
> @EricRWeinstein <https://twitter.com/EricRWeinstein>. The world (tech
> (web, software, cad/cam), gov, edu) is broken. I know how to fix it, but
> I'm suffocating (unemployment, student debt, depression), and on many days,
> I'd rather kill myself than continue the struggle
> 10:57 AM - 26 Jul 2019

https://twitter.com/mlew42/status/1154782897242550274

It's doubtful he will ever see the tweet.

In the "podcast," Peter Thiel and Eric Weinstein make the case that *we're
not actually doing a good job*, despite what some would claim.  It's hard
to understand, because we're so hyper-competitive.  Competitively
incompetent.  What cannot be argued, is that *we can do better*.

*The Long Vision*

We need better *decision making software*.  Email is garbage.  We need a
tool to identify all options, discuss, rank, plan and execute.  Something
like Reddit, that results in real productivity, government decisions, and
allocating resources.  Plan, then build.  Design, then develop.  CAD and
CAM.

There's no single recipe for what a "decision making system" would look
like.  Maybe it's just a Google doc.  Maybe it looks like Reddit.  Or maybe
it's like WordPress, where you can install plugins?  We need a solid
platform (like a webOS) where it's relatively easy to build new features.

I could try to speak more to the absolute mess that currently exists.  Go
to Product Hunt, and start counting.  "Ridiculous" hardly explains it.

There are 700 web-based project management platforms listed on capterra.com.
And not a single one of them is doing a great job.  Every single web app in
the world has to build its own user auth, database, user interface,
workflows, features, etc.  This is sort of like having a separate DMV for
every state in the USA.  Competitive incompetence.

*webOS*

Hold onto your pants:  We need to take all our software, and rebuild it on
a single tech stack.  Enter the *webOS*.  It's like Webflow + WordPress +
Wikipedia + Google + Facebook + Twitter + LinkedIn + YouTube + Khan
Academy + Windows + Android + Gmail + Reddit + ....

Rewriting so many sophisticated systems wouldn't be easy.  Unless you
realize that they're all basically the same thing:  a database of users,
posts, and apps.

The webOS has to be a hybrid of open and closed source, with advanced
licensing controls.  It must be monetized, so people are incentivized to
contribute (open source lacks this).  There needs to be clear licensing
terms, and advanced licensing controls, so developers can license their
code on a per user per month basis, for example.

A real Operating System builds all the critical productivity features (like
threaded discussions, project management, "email", version control,
collaboration, UI, plugins, etc) directly into the operating system itself,
so that it's automatically integrated throughout every app.

*gitOS*

The core of all of this, is the file system.  The data.  The meat and
potatoes.  Git is an incredible technology (that powers GitHub), is cross
platform, handles versioning, branching, merging, conflict resolution,
etc.  This technology should be built into every database, document,
design, image, email, application, film, etc.  Someday soon, *every person
who uses a computer will be an expert with versioning.  *But git, as a
command line tool, is insanely hard to use.  We need a git UI.  Let's call
it the *gitOS*.  This will provide an incredibly powerful feature to every
application built with the *webOS*.

*node OS*

Ever since I jumped ship as a WordPress developer, I've been waiting for
node.js to catch up.  It hasn't.  JavaScript and node.js should have
replaced Windows by now.  Show me a WordPress competitor built on node.js,
and you'll find a couple (sails, keystone, gatsby?).  There are literally a
million competitors in this field (SquareSpace, Weebly, Wix, etc).  Why
can't anyone fix this problem?  Node.js is capable of so much more:*
nodeOS.*

[image: image.png]

Can you help me?