Another similar thing I've used is with String interpolation; if you use a
similar pattern, e.g.,

``` `$[items.length} item${items.length !== 1 ? 's' : ''} in collection` ```

When you want to conditionally add either some text, or nothing at all, you
are forced to use the ternary with an empty string, or some workaround. In
terms of a proposal, the first thing I think we need to know is: can the
interpreter detect that it's in a template literal, in the same manner as
it detects ?...  being in an object/array declaration context?
Dammit babies, you've got to be kind.