Function findDuplicate is more like "mark duplicates". The side effect
is that it adds a __marker property to each object. As it stands, this
function can not be called more than once. The second call might be
passed a different array, but containing one of those objects that had
the __marker left over. Calling delete in a second loop would make the
algorithm 2n (best time). But this is not entirely safe; calling
delete on a Host object or window property will throw errors in
JScript env; and the property will still be there. So you can set
__marker = false, but then you've got a 2N algorithm that leaks a
"__marker" to objects in the program.

Unsafe:
if (map[array[i]])
// array[i].toString() returns a property name that exists in the
prototype chain of map (such as "toString").

Safer:
if(map.hasOwnProperty([array[i]])

However, relying on toString in the second part is still unsafe.

findDuplicate([1, "1", !window, "false", new Date()+'', new Date()+'']);

What is really going into this Array?

I think I see the intent, but the function is easily breakable, even
if fixed to have a second loop to set marker to null when done; and
including the hasOwnProperty fix.

Interop might be an issue, but the code is broken even in ES3.

JavaScript does not provide basic functionality for unique collections.

Consider a case where we have an array-like collection of objects and
we want to exclude duplicates. Not uncommon at all.

This could be a shopping cart of unique items (properties), a list of
attendees, a ledger of customers, a merge of n number of Lists,
containing top-scoring players
We want a unique collection.

Using SortedSet:
//-----------------------------------------------------------
// lis1, lis2 and lis3 are NodeList of LI, in Abstract View.

function compareFn(a, b) {
  return getScore(a) - getScore(b);
}

var players:Set = new SortedSet( compareFn );

players.addAll(lis1);
players.addAll(lis2);
players.addAll(lis3);
var top10:Set = new Set(players);
top10.trimToSize(10);

//-----------------------------------------------------------
Pros: fast, explicit

What's missing from ES4:
Set, SortedSet

Using Array:
//-----------------------------------------------------------
// Copy of array-like, as array, w/o duplicates.
var players = Array.concat(lis1, lis2).concat(lis3).unique();
players.sort(compareFn);
var top10 = players.toArray();
top10.length = 10;
//-----------------------------------------------------------
Pros: compact
Cons:
1) probably not as efficient (using quicksort)
2) slightly less explicit than the SortedSet example

What's missing from ES4:
Array.prototype.unique();
Array.prototype.toArray( arrayLike ) (also as Array.toArray(arrayLike))

ES3 concat and splice are the only way to obtain a copy of an array.
These are not explicit uses, but workarounds for a missing arraycopy
function.

I don't know how this problem could be solved with a Map. Doesn't feel
natural here. Here's my best shot at it:

//----------------------------------------------------------
var players = new Map<Object,Object>();

// Add all the players from each list into the players Map.
for(var i = 0; i < lis1.length; i++) {
  if(!Map.containsKey(lis1[i])
    players.add(lis1[i], null);
}
for(var i = 0; i < lis2.length; i++) {
  if(!Map.containsKey(lis2[i])
    players.add(lis2[i], null);
}
for(var i = 0; i < lis3.length; i++) {
  if(!Map.containsKey(lis3[i])
    players.add(lis3[i], null);
}

var keys = map.getKeys();
var newPlayers = Array.toArray(keys);
newPlayers.sort(compareFn);
newPlayers.length = 10;
//----------------------------------------------------------

Pros:
Cons:
1) not very straightforward or intuitive; not explicit
2) Verbose, requires two collections and a for loop.
3) Not efficient

What's missing:
Array.toArray( arraylike );

On Nov 9, 2007 10:00 AM, Lars Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Map and intrinsic::hashcode are your friends, indeed.  Cleaner solution,
> too.
>
> <rambling>
> For non-dynamic classes you can still use meta::set and meta::get to allow
> for
> limited applications like this.  I keep thinking that there are use cases
> for
> global meta::get and meta::set functions, so just like operator overloading
> can be done by extending global, generic functions a la intrinsic::+, it
> ought to
> be possible to hook into catchalls on the global level, using generic
> functions.
>
> class C { ... } // not dynamic
>
> meta generic function get(c: C, name) {
>     if (name == "__marker")
>     else
>        return nextMethod()
> }
>
> meta generic function set(c: C, name, val) {
>     if (name == "__marker")
>     else
>         nextMethod()
> }