On 12/12/2007, Alistair Braidwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  It doesn't seem very practical or sensible to require the developer to
> order code in a specific way to avoid these sorts of performance penalties
> and my prefered solution would be to add "I'm about to edit the page
> description, please suspend drawing ops" and "I've finished editing the page
> description, now you may draw" functionality to the language - which is why
> I've mailed this group.

Not saying that it's not a good idea (I'd view it akin to locking for
threads, just less generally useful), but what on earth does that have
to do with ECMAScript? ECMAScript doesn't deal with documents,
browsers, laying them out visually or drawing them. The browser is
just one of numerous possible host environments. The specifications
that deal with the browser host in particular are the DOM ones. The
W3C WebAPI group seems to have control over most of DOM specs (SVG
DOM, HTML DOM and similar aside), that's probably a better place to
ask for this.
--
David "liorean" Andersson