On Dec 19, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:

With so many ECMAScript engines rushing ahead to implement the ES4
proposal, it seems as though the proposal is as good as approved.

No, and I wonder if you missed my reply to your comment in John Resig's blog:

http://ejohn.org/blog/state-of-ecmascript-4-dec-07/#comment-296284

John's Google Spreadsheet and generated chart is charting progress. There will be changes to both implementations and draft specs. Don't panic.

As I wrote in that comment, it would be a big mistake to specify without implementations that users test and truly use for non-trivial/ synthetic inputs. It would also be a mistake to marry an early draft just because it was implemented and used.

Perhaps there will be minor tweaks but if so many implementations
contain classes, for example, such a feature will almost certainly be
in ES4 final.

Let's cut to the chase: what are you worried about? Classes being in ES4?

Has the voting majority agreed in principle to vote in favor of the proposal?

Ecma and ISO technical groups work by consensus, not voting. As everyone knows, consensus broke down within TG1, in a public way this past fall -- but we are trying to repair it now.

/be