From: Lars Hansen
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:54 PM
To: Peter Hall; Dick Sweet
Cc: Brendan Eich; es4-discuss Discuss; TC39; Mike Cowlishaw
Subject: RE: Adobe position paper on the ECMAScript 4 proposal space --
decimal

There's no such rule in ES4.  There are implicit conversions among
primitive number types, and between primitive types and wrapper types,
and those kick in when storing something in an annotated location.  So
these two programs are different, and both are correct:

  var s = "foo"
  var t = 10.5

and

  var s : String = "foo"
  var t : int = 10.5

(Decimal makes sense without any type annotations, but annotations
probably cause coercions to decimal to happen more often and thus reduce
the scope for error.  I assume this is what Dick meant.  But 1m would be
a decimal value 1, and 1m/10 would convert 10 to decimal before dividing
-- no annotations involved.)

--lars