It's cute, but there's nothing in our language discussions so far that
indicates that it should work to provide defaults where the caller
provided none, and making it work is pretty much tantamount to getting
into a discussion about named parameters or a more general notion of
destructuring where it picks up values where there are none.  (At the
risk of starting another "goto" discussion, imagine an operator "?=".)

In fact the RI doesn't work as one would like it to, as the third test
below shows:

>> function h({x:x, y:y} = { x:10, y:20 }) [x,y]
>> h({x:1,y:2})
1,2
>> h()
10,20
>> h({x:1})
1,

What appears to happen here is what one would expect: if the entire
structure argument is omitted then the default value is used, but if the
structure is partly omitted then the default structure is not consulted
at all, and I think that's what Steven would like to see happen.

--lars