It will not.  The text of the spec is "The literal is terminated by the
earliest sequence of three unescaped instances of the the same quote
character that is not followed by a fourth quote character of the same
kind."  So the string is the four-letter sequence abc".  Perhaps the
sentence would be even clearer if the word "immediately" were to precede
the word "followed".

> Furthermore,
>
> """\"""
>
> turns into:
>
> \

It does not, this is an unterminated triple-quoted string according to
the rule above.

> What does the following evaluate to?
>
> """\n\\\"\t"""

The four character string U+000A U+005C U+0022 U+0009.

> Is it the same as "\n\\\"\t"?

It is.

It is also the same as """<LF>\\"<TAB>""" where <LF> denotes a literal
U+000A (or U+000D or U+000D U+000A pair, cf the proposal on line
terminator normalization).  Note the unescaped quote character.

> If so, then triple quoting seems like an extraneous feature,
> as we still need to go through and double every backslash
> located inside the string.

The primary purpose of triple quoting is not to avoid escaping
backslashes, but to avoid escaping quotes and to avoid having to convert
literal line breaks to \n characters.  There is a small amount of
discussion on the original proposal page (reference [1] from the spec
page).

(I too like the r"..." syntax of Python, but that is not what we have
here.)

--lars