On Mar 4, 2008, at 10:27 PM, Darryl wrote:

> I would argue that type parameters for collection
> classes are completely unnecessary. Supposing some
> collection class Set with a method add, it would be
> trivial to subclass it to TypedSet. Simply have an
> argument in the constructor called contentType, and
> redefine add to force type checking of all items being
> added, filtering out anything not matching. I don't
> see why it's necessary to clutter up the syntax with
> ugly Set.<int> like notation when existing
> functionality can handle this sort of type constraints
> with ease and elegance.

Arguments to a constructor can't be type terms, so can't be used in
annotations, so can't be type-checked. You must mean manual, runtime
"type" checking by typeof, instanceof, or other tests. That's not
what type checking means in the context of type parameters.

I suggest focusing on semantics and setting aside syntactic issues
for a bit. If you just don't want optional types anywhere, then why
pick on type params?

/be