That looks like an illegal token to me, since the lexer will read "a"
"b" "c" "\" and then see an unescaped linefeed.

Since the speclet states nothing about changing the way strings are
lexed, normal escape character processing should be in effect, and that
dictates that \\ is processed into \ independently of what follows.

--lars