On Mar 10, 2008, at 11:35 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> [...] I'd like to propose the following three alternatives to the
>> current proposal:
>>
>> 1) Remove the feature entirely from ES4 (as part of the "judicious
>> feature cuts" process) until a more appropriate syntax is found
>> 2) Replace two-argument form of propertyIsEnumerable with
>> setPropertyIsEnumerable
>> 3) Replace two-argument form of propertyIsEnumerable with
>> __setPropertyIsEnumerable__
>
> So long as setPropertyIsEnumerable is a method of Object.prototype, it
> raises the otherwise pointless question of the meaning of overriding
> it.

I don't see how it raises any special questions - it's not called
internally by the implementation or anything.

> At the last ES3.1 face-to-face, we agreed instead on the following
> static method on Object, as recorded at
> <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=es3.1:targeted_additions_to_array_string_object_date
>
> >:

That proposal seems to depart markedly from the past plan that ES 3.1
is to be a subset of ES4. Has that plan been abandoned? ES3.1
organizers, what's up?

(If you'd like to propose this design for ES4 as well then the basic
approach seems sound, in that it avoids whatever risk there is to
polluting the namespace of all objects without being conceptually
confusing. Also the names lean too much towards terse instead of
descriptive for such obscure operations. For instance
Object.readOnly(o, p) would read much better as something like
Object.makePropertyReadOnly(o, p).)

Regards,
Maciej