Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply. Responses inline below.

Marc

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Alex Branham <alex.bran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed 06 Mar 2019 at 18:53, Marc Schwartz via ESS-help
> <ess-help@r-project.org> wrote:
>
>> Three questions:
>>
>> 1. While the syntax highlighting seems to be generally preserved in terms of
>> fonts and colors from ESS and auctex, the following text:
>>
>> <<results=*>>=
>>
>> @
>>
>> that defines the boundary of an R chunk is bolded in black instead of red. I
>> Googled for polymode colors but did not see anything obvious, so was
>> wondering if someone can point me to the fontlock settings for the above to
>> change it from black to red. Red stands out better for my aging eyes...
>
> Usually M-x describe-face defaults to the face under point, perhaps
> that's what you need?

It just shows the default 'bold', not a specific font-lock face.

If I revert to the old ESS configuration, so that polymode is disabled, the
face appears to be a combination of:

  font-lock-keyword-face

which is actually Purple and colors the text within the '<<' and the '>>=='

and

  font-lock-constant-face

which is red and colors the boundary symbols above as well as the '@'.

I tried to explicitly specify those in my .emacs in the custom-set-faces
section with:

 '(font-lock-constant-face ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground
"Red"))))
 '(font-lock-keyword-face ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground
"Purple"))))

however, they appear to be ignored when polymode is active.

Any workarounds?

>> 2. When starting an R session (M-x R), the new R buffer opens in a new frame
>> to the right of the current frame, rather than in the current frame, as was
>> the case with ESS. Is there a way to change this behavior so that it opens
>> in the current frame? I generally work with my R/Rnw files in the top frame
>> and the R session in the lower frame, so this is a quirk that I would like
>> to change, if possible.
>
> This is probably a result of ESS respecting `display-buffer'. If you
> want R to start in a window below your current buffer, use something
> like this:
>
> (add-to-list 'display-buffer '("*R" (display-buffer-reuse-window
> display-buffer-at-bottom)
>  (window-width . 0.5) (reusable-frames . nil)))
>
> Let me know if that doesn't do what you want.

I get the following error message:

Symbol's value as variable is void: display-buffer

>> 3. After opening a Rnw file and starting an R session, I get the following
>> message in the flymake log buffer:
>>
>> Warning [flymake FileName.Rnw[R]]: Disabling backend
>> flymake-proc-legacy-flymake because (error Can’t find a suitable init
>> function)
>> Error [ess-r-flymake  *ess-r-flymake*]: Need ‘lintr‘ version > v1.0.3
>>
>> I do have lintr version 1.0.3 installed from CRAN and, based upon a Google
>> search, I have the following in my .emacs:
>>
>> (remove-hook 'flymake-diagnostic-functions 'flymake-proc-legacy-flymake)
>>
>> prior to both ESS and polymode being loaded.
>>
>> Is this a temporary situation pending a yet to be released version of lintr,
>> or is there something else going on here?
>
> Yes, we rely on lintr features not yet released on CRAN. You can get the
> development version with devtools::install_github("jimhester/lintr").

OK, thanks on that. I installed the development version from Github and that
seems to have resolved the issue.

Is there any indication as to a time frame for a new release of lintr to CRAN?

Thanks,

Marc