I have searched the archives and the only reference i could find to this
was dated back in Aug of 2000. We like to use ethereal to analyze log
files that we capture on various boxes throughout our institution. We
usually setup a headless linux box running snort and put it on a switch
with a span port to capture as much traffic as possible. I currently have
snort setup to log it all as tcpdump format. Then i will sftp the file
over to my box and open it with ethereal to analyze it. But  with very
large files i am getting an error. My box is a P4 1400 with a gig of
memory in it running linux with a 2.4.20 kernel. The error that i am
getting is:

GLib-ERROR **: could not allocate 1328907053 bytes
aborting...
Aborted

Is there anything i can do to get these files to open up? Any help would
be appreciated.

--
Richard Witt
Systems Security Analyst II