On Saturday, Jan 25, 2003, at 17:42 US/Pacific, Guy Harris wrote:

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 03:10:22PM +0100, Michael Tuexen wrote:
Solution 1:
Execute in the Terminal
sudo chmod u+r /dev/bpf?

u+r, or go+r? The "/dev/bpf*" entries were owned by root, as I remember, and root already has read/write access.

Another alternative might be to change the owner of those entries to
yourself.

You have to type in your password. This has to be repeated after each
reboot.

Is the problem that the "/dev/bpf" entries are supplied by fdescfs, or is it that the union mount that the mount_fdesc man page claims happens with fdescfs doesn't let chmod's pass through it to the underlying on-disk file system?

The driver creates these device nodes at boot or driver-load time, with predefined permissions and ownership.

It's a bit irritating Darwin doesn't let me do what FreeBSD and some
other BSDs doe, i.e.  *persistently* give myself the ability to capture
packets as myself rather than as root (although I guess FreeBSD 5.0,
using devfs by default, would require me to do it differently).

You can always add the "chmod" commands to a startupitem, or make the capture programs setuid-root.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |   If you're not confused,