Thanks Alistair for the reply.  Someone replied with a fix which was I had
an MIB variable set from Enterasys software that was stopping Ethereal from
starting.

Kevin O'Quinn
Operating Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
Ph. (409) 794-5421
Fax. (409) 794-5741

"Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co."

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      spencer.com                           To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                                            cc:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      07/02/2003 10:46 AM                   Subject: RE:
[Ethereal-users] WinXP Problem

> I have a problem with Ethereal 9.13a on my Windows XP
> machine.  The program fails to start up.  It is running under
> Task Manager taking up 99% CPU, but
> the GUI never shows.   I am using Winpcap 3.0, and I have
> tried to install
> 2.2 to see if that helps, but no luck.
>
> I have uninstalled/rebooted/cleaned
> registry/rebooted/installed/rebooted
> and I still cannot get the program to run.  I looked in one
> of the readme that suggested that the GTK dll paths needed to
> be in the path statement. I corrected that and still no luck.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

0.9.13a is working fine for me on XP, so I've got no immediate suggestions,
just questions.

1) Which process is using the most CPU. Click the "Processes" tab in task
manager and click the CPU column heading to sort the processes.

2) Does ethereal -v work? (You should get DOS box with version
information).

3) Does tethereal work from the command line.

4) Does windump work? It uses the winpcap library and doesn't use
ethereal's
code. If this doesn't work the problem is likely to be with winpcap rather
than ethereal.
http://windump.polito.it/

Cheers,

Alistair

Registered Office:
Marks & Spencer p.l.c
Michael House, Baker Street,
London, W1U 8EP
Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

This e-mail is confidential. If you received it by mistake, please let us
know and then delete it from your system; you should not copy, disclose, or
distribute its contents to anyone nor act in reliance on this e-mail, as
this is prohibited and may be unlawful.

The registered office of Marks and Spencer Financial Services PLC, Marks
and Spencer Unit Trust Management Limited, Marks and Spencer Life Assurance
Limited and Marks and Spencer Savings and Investments Limited is Kings
Meadow, Chester, CH99 9FB. These firms are authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority.