From: Hounsell, Paul
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 11:21 PM
Subject: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal fails on large capture file.

        Hello;
        I really like your program but it is crashing when processing a
large snoop file (50Megs). I am trying to track down a problem on a busy
Solaris system. About 30 seconds of snoop capture is over 50 Megs. I am only
interested in about one Megabyte of that data. The question is how to filter
that 1 Megabyte out of the rest. I have pulled the capture file down to my
workstation. I run Ethereal 0.9.12 with a filter. At the 7 Megabyte mark
Ethereal crashes with the following error as shown in the attached gif. I
have also a Windows XP core dump if required.
        How do I filter just the data I am interested in? Can this bug be
fixed? I understand that there is a limit to the amount of data any program
deals with but the program should not crash. I would appreciate any help.
        Cheers
        Paul

Paul Hounsell
system administrator