Apurva Shukla wrote:

>Hi all,
>i am probably posting the request the second time and just wanted to
>know the reason of not being able to surf anything when i start
>capturing packets by ethereal .
>thanks in advance
>apurva

I assume that you are using WinPcap on Windows.

Besides the information in FAQ 5.12 (http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.12) I can
mention that there **might** be a work-around on Windows 2000 by installing Network
Monitor driver as described on the following page:
http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/dialup.htm
After you have done this you could try to use the NdisWanBh device.

This requires that you are using WinPcap 2.3 or WinPcap 3.0 alpha, so if you have
installed e.g. WinPcap 3.0 beta you need to uninstall that version if you want to try
this.

I have not noticed any problems myself after I did as in the description and I know
that several other users that have got this to work without problems on Windows 2000.
I also got a mail from someone that got this to work on Windows XP also, I think.
I have not tried that myself.

Support for all NdisWan adapters has been disabled in WinPcap 3.0 beta:
"due to the large number of messages reporting problems (blue screens) with VPNs, PPTP
and such connections, we have  disabled the support for NdisWan adapters. As a
consequence, it is not possible to capture from PPP (neither NdisWanIp, nor NdisWanBh,
nor NdisWanBfIn/Out...). At the moment we have no plans to fix the problem with VPNs,
PPTP, PPP unless we get a generous sponsorship. "
http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/changelog.htm