Vaidehi Kasarekar wrote:

<Frame 363 (90 on wire, 90 captured)
<    Arrival Time: Jun  4, 2003 18:16:20.623654000
<    Time delta from previous packet: 0.002625000 seconds
<    Time relative to first packet: 13.375884000 seconds
<    Frame Number: 363
<    Packet Length: 90 bytes
<    Capture Length: 90 bytes
<IEEE 802.11
<    Type/Subtype: Data (32)
<    Frame Control: 0x0108
<        Version: 0
<        Type: Data frame (2)
<        Subtype: 0
<        Flags: 0x1

>If i want to specify a filter in tethereal in such a way that, it will filter out
>packets, where
>Frame Type match: "data" and the some more fields of the header. what is the syntax?
>How do i specify that???
>
>If i specify:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] log]$ tethereal -i eth2 -f 'wlan.fc.type_subtype eq 0x08' -V
>I get an error:
>
>tethereal: Unable to parse filter string (parse error).
>
>Can anybody guide me writing rules to filter out packets based on certain header
>information. I am interested in the syntax. Or any >document describing the filters
>or examples of filters would be useful.

Capture filters have a different syntax than display filters
http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.5

In order to prepare a capture filter you should read the tcpdump/WinDump documentation
(man-page) corresponding to the libpcap/WinPcap version you are using, e.g.

http://nodevice.com/sections/ManIndex/man1692.html

http://windump.polito.it/docs/manual.htm  (if you are using WinPcap)

There is also some other "guides" about tcpdump filter syntax that can be good
sometimes:

http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4489

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200306/msg00020.html

http://home.insight.rr.com/procana/index.html

I guess that in your case when you have IEE 802.11 headers you maybe have to use a
filter such as
ether[0] & 0xF0 = 0x8

(ether[0] means the first byte of the data link level used on the specified network
interface)

It might be good to combine a capture filter with a display/read-filter since the
syntax for display/read-filters is much more powerful.
You can normally filter on high level protocols and similar.

You could for example start with capture all packets matching a certain capture filter
and save the result to a file
tethereal -i eth2 -f 'ether[0] & 0xF0' -w file1.pcap

Then you could use read-filters to filter out with the more powerful display-filter
syntax using the "-R" option
tethereal -r file1.pcap -R 'wlan.bssid == 00:40:05:df:24:b8' -V

Actually it might work to use:
tethereal -i eth2 -R 'wlan.fc.type_subtype eq 0x08' -V
directly, but there is a risk that packets may be dropped when Ethereal has to scan
through a lot of packets in real-time.