On Nov 19, 2003, at 1:32 PM, Tony Scarola wrote:

Do you know if it is possible to simply tell Ethereal that a certain port
maps to a specific application (i.e. port 5900 is [most likely] VNC)?

Yes. Step 1 is to write a VNC dissector. Step 2 is to make it register itself for TCP port 5900. :-)

I see that there is a "decode as" option, however, do not see any way to
change or develop custom protocols for "unknown ports". I would think there
might be an easy way for non-programmers to add custom ports.

What do you mean by "change or develop custom protocols"? Do you mean *dissect* those protocols?