available wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in testing the latency of ethercat systems, please let me know how to do it with a system with one EtherCAT Master and a couple of Digital slave I/O nodes. I am looking at the latency of communication between Master and Slave node.

The "latency is mainly defined by the size of the transmitted Ethernet packages. The transmission of a packet with a minimum packetsize of ~60 bytes is in the range of 5us. You have still to add the cycle time of the master statemachine ... so the absolute smallest latency is then in the range of ~15us. With a full packet size you have to count with a latency of 150 -200us.

Cheers

--Armin

/Able