Hello, as I told you, I don't want to insist in this point because it seems to be annoying you, if it is not possible to know when the packet has arrived and nobody can send any clue on how to do it, we will find another solution to our problem.

Thank you very much to everybody.

Best regards.

Quoting Richard Hacker <h...@igh-essen.com>:

Hello,

Please let me put things straight: there is no way of knowing when an EtherCAT
packet has arrived, because there is *NO need to*!!!!

Digital computer controlled systems are sampled data systems with one inherent
delay cycle from input to output. They are not analog computers. In the limit
when the cycle time tends to zero they start to *look like* analog computers.
Where this limit is depends on your application!

So, normal controllers running EtherCAT do:
calculate;
exchange io;
wait;
calculate
exchange io;
wait;
... till the end of time

Inside "exchange io", data from the calculation is output to the slaves and AT THE SAME TIME the input slaves are sampled (ecrt_master_send() ). These inputs
wait until the next calculation step before they get processed.

Inside calculate, ethercat data frames are fetched from the ethernet card
(ecrt_master_receive() ), processed for inputs (which were fetched while the
program was sleeping) (ecrt_domain_process() ), running your control
algorithm, and queuing the outputs from your controller (ecrt_domain_queue()
). The important thing to note, is that the ethercat frames must be waiting on
the ethernet card before the master is requested to fetch them, otherwise the
master will puke and think the frame was lost. Thus fetching data too early
before the frame has arrived will get you into trouble. That is why it is VERY
IMPORTANT to sleep after "exchange io".

If this concept does not suit your timing requirements, then EtherCAT is not
your solution - you need directly attached IO where you can synchronously
sample inputs, calculate and write outputs. Just before giving up on EtherCAT,
it has been tested at rates to 10kHz ;)

Oh by the way, we and many others have been working successfully with EtherCAT
on a number of not so small applications for a few years without needing
synchronous IO.

- Richard