SDOs are just objects that can be accessed via acyclic (mailbox) transfers.
Typically (if the slave supports CoE) all PDOs can be accessed as SDOs (though
usually there’s little point) but only some SDOs can be accessed as PDOs.

Most of the time SDOs are used purely for configuration – values that you want
to set once on startup and never change again.  For this case, simply use the
ecrt_slave_config_sdo* family of functions during the configuration phase (when
you’re registering PDOs) and the library will take care of sending this to the
device.

The ecrt_sdo_request family of functions are for the other kind of SDO access,
where there is something that you want to read or modify during live operation.
 This is rarer (except for things like diagnostic monitoring) as typically live
changes are done via PDOs instead.  But sometimes these can be useful if it’s
only extremely rare that you want to change something so you don’t want to
“waste” space in the normal domain transfer.

An SDO transfer will take multiple cycles to execute (absolute minimum is about
3, but it usually takes more); each slave can only process one transfer at a
time; and the master has a small limit on the number of concurrent transfers it
will actually issue, although it can hold extras in a queue.