I had this 10mS cycle time issue with a multithreaded application awhile
back. Turned out the kernel was built with 100Hz base ticks, not 1kHz.  Do
"cat /proc/timer_list" and have a look at the available timer resolutions
on your system, pause() can't work at any lower resolution than the kernel
ticks.