From: Sebastien Blanchet
Sent: Tuesday, 9 January 2018 16:53
To: aj; etherlab-users@etherlab.org
Subject: Re: [etherlab-users] ETHERCAT Bus Coupler Question

Hi Ajith,

1/ The Kollmorgen coupler you want to buy is a K-BUS coupler. It supports many
fieldbuses but is not transparent for Ethercat commands.
So it is more difficult to use with Igh Ethercat Master than a E-BUS coupler.

2/ Kollmorgen has a very limited portfolio of I/O compared to Beckhoff, so it
is
an uncommon choice for modular I/O.

3/ E-BUS couplers and I/O are cheaper than K-BUS ones.

That is E-BUS?
==============
The physical layer of EtherCAT is based on standard Ethernet. Thus, standard
MII
is supported for stand alone devices connected to one another via CAT 5 cables.
For more space and price sensitive devices such as modular devices another
physical layer for EtherCAT is used, the so called EBUS.
The EtherCAT protocol remains unchanged, only the physical form is changed.

Source: page 6 of EtherCAT Slave Implementation Guide
https://www.ethercat.org/pdf/english/ETG2200_G_R_V1i1i6_ImplGuide_Slave.pdf

Consequences:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With E-BUS, the coupler is transparent for EtherCAT commands. Programming and
debugging is easier. For example you can list all your slaves with 'ethercat
slaves'
Example on my system:

$ ethercat slaves
0 1:0 OP + EK1100 EtherCAT-Koppler (2A E-Bus)
1 1:1 OP + EL5001-0011 1K. SSI Monitor
2 1:2 OP + EL5021 1Ch. Sin/Cos Encoder
3 1:3 OP + EL5001-0011 1K. SSI Monitor
4 1:4 OP + EL1809 16K. Dig. Eingang 24V, 3ms
5 1:5 OP + EL1809 16K. Dig. Eingang 24V, 3ms
6 1:6 OP + EL1809 16K. Dig. Eingang 24V, 3ms
7 1:7 OP + EL2809 16K. Dig. Ausgang 24V, 0.5A
8 1:8 PREOP + EK1521-0010 1-Port EtherCAT-Abzweig (FX-SingleMode)
9 30:0 PREOP + EK1501-0010 EtherCAT-Koppler (2A E-Bus, FX-SingleMode, ID-Switc
10 30:1 OP + EL5021 1Ch. Sin/Cos Encoder
11 30:2 OP + EL1809 16K. Dig. Eingang 24V, 3ms
12 30:3 OP + EL2809 16K. Dig. Ausgang 24V, 0.5A
13 30:4 PREOP + EK1122 2-Port EtherCAT-Abzweig
14 51:0 OP + AKD EtherCAT Drive (CoE)
15 52:0 OP + AKD EtherCAT Drive (CoE)
16 53:0 OP + AKD EtherCAT Drive (CoE)
17 54:0 OP + AKD EtherCAT Drive (CoE)
18 80:0 PREOP + EK1100 EtherCAT-Koppler (2A E-Bus)
19 80:1 OP + EL1809 16K. Dig. Eingang 24V, 3ms
20 80:2 OP + EL2809 16K. Dig. Ausgang 24V, 0.5A
21 80:3 OP + EL3104 4K. Ana. Eingang +/-10V Diff.

As you can see, I mix Kollmorgen AKD and Beckhoff E-BUS modular I/O without
problem. I need only a single domain.

best regards,
--
Sebastien BLANCHET