Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up a Beckhoff EL6992 terminal and ran into some unexpected
problems. Has anyone experience with this hardware?

Here is my problem:

The EL6992 is an EtherCAT bridge terminal, allowing communication between two
EtherCAT systems. For that, it consists of actually two ethercat slaves, one
"primary" slave on one system and a "secondary" slave on a second system. The
primary side can configure PDOs for communication which the secondary side can
then use.

First odd thing I notice are the operating states: The terminal initializes in
"OP" on the primary side and in "OP" or "PreOp+E" on secondary side. I have yet
to understand what decides the state of the secondary side

So far I managed to  configure PDOs for communication on both sides. For this
to work, I have to manually set the operating states on both sides to Init,
then to PreOp, then start my control job on primary side, then on secondary
side. Otherwise the configuration is not accepted.

However, on both sides the system freezes shortly after starting the control
jobs. System freeze is complete, even Alt+Print+REISUB does not work anymore.
A similar thing happens when I try to kill a control job shortly after starting
it:
The control job can not be killed, not with Strg+C, and not with kill <PID>.
Shortly after trying, the system freezes graduadely, sometimes rebooting still
works, sometimes I have to default back to Alt+Print+REISUB. I have tried
reading the dmesg output while killing the control job, I can't find error
messages, the output stops at "releasing Master 0..."

I would be most grateful for any pointers on how to proceed with this.

Best regards,
Amos

--
Amos Merkel, M.Sc.
Group leader

ifas - Institute for Fluid Power Drives and Systems
RWTH Aachen University
Campus-Boulevard 30
52074 Aachen

Tel: +49 241 80-47737