On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 01:51:56AM -0800, James wrote:
> Ok, now I have my mouse working just fine when I am in the console (just
> before issuing startX), but when I start Xwindows, my mouse cursor starts
> in the center of the gray window, but as soon as the background and icons
> appear, my cursor jumps off to the edge of the screen and moves up when I
> scroll down, and down when I scroll up, and opens and closes windows
> without me clicking.  It's posessed.  I'm running Mandrake 6.1.
>
> What is the reason for this, and is there a fix?  It's strange that it
> behaves fine in the console window but freaks in Xwindows.

There's two different configuration files at work; one for gpm and one
for X.  X probably needs to be told what kind of mouse you have.  To
find out...ah, now that's the question!  Try "cat
/etc/sysconfig/mouse"--that may tell you (it would on Red Hat).  If it
works, the "XMOUSETYPE" value will be the one X needs.

--
R.