        Value Name: EnablePlainTextPassword
        Data: 0x01 (this will end up something like 00000001)
"

The above is for Win98. PLEASE look at the SMB-HOWTO BEFORE you make changes so you know what is happening, and so you doublecheck the above.

Then telnet to 192.168.0.9:901 and there you are! Try it, you'll like it. If you have not installed the samba packages however, you need to do that. You can start/restart/stop SMBD and NMBD from the Swat utility if you want. I haven't bothered to make it start up on boot yet, but will when I figure out how. For now, since my Linux box NEVER crashes, I ain't worried!

Have fun with Samba! I use a 486dx2-66 with 16m memory and a couple old SCSI-1 drives as a file server for my home network, and it works great! Another item you may wish to install is WEBMIN. Seth Cohn helped me get mine setup last night at the group grope, and it is even cooler!

Also, does anyone know of a GUI ftp client that can do scp?

Not sure what scp is, sorry

Regards, Jim Darrough

 http://www.clipper.net/~jed
If you have ICQ you can message me. My ICQ#:28238084
Download icq @ http://www.icq.com/