Greetings all,

There's a bug in my system and I wonder if anyone's seen it before.

I know my system is modest compared to many, but we all have to
start somewhere.  Since my purchase last November I've heard
several people say the Cyrix 333 chip is less than perfect.  As in
"it chokes up."  Though it seems a more reliable chip might be found,
there's nothing much I can do about it now, as I'm looking for
gainful employment at this time, and have no savings.

By putting my cursor on K, going to Settings, and looking at the
various results of Information, I get this:

~~~~~~
The chip registers as 263 MHz.
~~~~~~
i think this shows the Mandrake 7.0 operating system:
X-Server (last on the list but I'm listing it here:
name of display: : :0.0
version number:  : 11.0
vendor string: Linux Mandrake (Xfree86 3.3.6, X-TT 1.3 Patches
vendor release number: 3360
default screen number: 0
screen #0
dimensions  : 640 x 480 pixels (217x163 mm)
resolution:  75x75 dots per inch
depths (1) : 16
~~~~~~
Memory: 64 K and it's pretty busy...
Total:  60329984 bytes = 57
free      1732608 bytes = 1  * this figure varies
shared 25944064 bytes = 24
buffer      143360 bytes = 0
~~~~~~
Samsung hard drive which shows as
5.71 gig with 4.16 free at 26.8 %full.
~~~~~~
Devices:
1  mem
2  pty
3  ttyp
4  ttyS
5  cua
6  lp
7  vcs
10 misc
14 sound
36 netlink
128 ptm
136 pts
162 raw
BLOCK DEVICES
 1 ramdisk
 2 fd
 3 ide0
 9 md
MISC DEVICES
135 rtc
134 apm
    1 psaux
~~~~~~
DMA-Channels
1  SoundBlaster8
4 cascade
~~~~~~~
Interrupts:
CPUO
0:  38393621  X-pic  timer
1:     121558  X-pic  keyboard
2:              0  X-pic  cascade
5               0  X-pic  soundblaster
8:              1  X-pic  rtc
12:   408050  X-pic  PS2-mouse
13:            0  X-pic  fpu
14: 2006754  X-pic  ide0
NMI:          0
~~~~~~~
I/O Ports:
0000-001f  dma1
0020-003f  pic1
0040-005f  timer
0060-006f  keyboard
0070-007f  rtc
0080-008f  dma page
00a0-00bf  pic2
00c0-00df  dma2
00f0-01f7   ide0
0220-022f  soundblaster
02f8-02ff   serial (auto)
0378-037a  parport0
0388-038b  Yamaha OPL3
03c0-03df   vga+
03f6-03f6   ide0
0778-077a  parport0
4000-4007  ide0
4000-4008  ide1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PCI devices found:
Bus 0, device 0, function 0
Host Bridge: Silicon integrated systems 5597/5598 Host (rev 16).
Medium devsel.  Master Capable. Latency = 64

Bus 0, device 1, function 0
ISA Bridge: Silicon integrated systems 85C503 (rev 1).
Medium devsel.  Master Capable. No bursts.

Bus 0, device 1, function 1
IDE Interface: Silicon integrated systems 85C513 (rev 208).
Fast devsel.  Master Capable. Latency =128

I/O at 0xd8000b40 [0dx8000b41]
i/O at 0x3c15d724 [0x3c15d725]
I/O at 0xee148860 [0xee148861]
I/O at 0x9003038 [0x9003039]
I/O at 0x4000 [0x4001]

Bus 0, device 11, function 0
Ethernet Controller: Realtek 8193 (rev 16)
Medium devsel.  Fast  back-to-back Capable. IRQ 11.
Master Capable.  Latency = 64. Min Gnt =32.MaxLat=64.
I/O at 0xf600 [0xf601]
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffadff00 [0xffadff00]

Bus 0, device 20, function 0
VGA compatible controller: Silicon integrated systems 5597/5598 VGA
(rev 104). Medium devsel. IRQ 10.
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff400000 [0xff400008]
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffaf0000 [0xffaf0000]
I/O at 0xf400[0xf401]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samba Status: Error! SMBststus not found or not working.
~~~~~~
SCSI: Attached devices: none
~~~~~~
Sound
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux pctraining 2.2.14-15mdk #1
 Tue Jan 4 22:24:20 CET 2000 i686
Config Options: 0
Installed Drivers:
Card Config:
Audio devices:
0:Sound Blaster 16 (ALS-100) (4.02)
Synth Devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3
Midi Devices:
Timers:
0: System clock
Mixers:
0:Sound Blaster

Here's what happens.  Every so often, I shutdown and restart, just
to make sure all is off and clean.  My wife (at present in Boston)
set up the system and claimed this was a good idea, once a day. She
set up three users, for her, for me, and for the kids.

I log on to my user, and Netscape opens from the Autostart: I don't
mind, it only takes a few seconds.  Then I open the K-mail program.
Then I use KPPP to dial up my ISP, in this case, USWEST, and log on.

Once I get a connection, most often I want to check my email.

Sometimes when I go to open a piece of email, it will dump me out of
the program.  I have been dumped from Netscape as well.  The problem
is I cannot open a program while I am online.

There was a time when if I was reading email (while connected) I
could click on a web address and the KFM browser would open.  Just
now I checked.  Go to a piece of email with web address, click on
address, KFM opens, can't find address of course because I am not on
line.  If I was on line, the KFM program would not open.

Another way I know there is a problem is when I open my wife's user
and get online and check her email, I can use KFM.  So what has
happened in my user?  Since I don't have any help files I'm at
something of a loss.  Must I go online to learn how to use Linux?
I have all these programs and utilities and very little knowledge of
how to use them.  I did well in the computer programming course I
took (back in 1985), and I think I can still learn.  I'd like to
make the most of what time I spend using this machine.

Maybe I'll see you all next Thursday.  I'll be the one with the big
grin.

Lindsay Crawford, Springfield OR USA
01:00 Monday 14 August 2000