Yeah, I'm running 4.0.1 or whatever it is (maybe 4.1, but I don't
think so).  Performance is just about the same, but 3d stuff has changed
quite a bit.

        Support for my video card appears to be better, though.  APM stuff
is working a little more consistantly, and I'm sure it's using more
memory, but I haven't managed to crash it yet.  I actually had crashed
3.3.6 quite a few times before I upgraded.

        However, I'm not using the redhat package, because I think redhat
stinks, and I think they'd try to make you upgrade ten thousand other
packages to get dependencies correct, while leaving old libraries and
programs around.  No no, I just installed Slackware without any of the X
stuff and then installed from the XFree binary packages.

        And of course, I don't use 3d or anything special, and if it's
working with 3.3, I would just go to the newest 3.3.x.

        DRI support is supposed to be working, though, and will give you
incredible performance over the old setup of the 3d type things, so if
that's your deal, and your card is supported, you might consider making
the jump.

        You can always move the /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 directories out of
their places and install, then be able to move back.