On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:54:37 -0700
"Patrick R. Wade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 04:32:46PM -0700, Lindsay Crawford wrote:
>>Is there anything in the standard Mandrake set capable of reading a
>>MS Word document?

> strings word.doc | less
>will give you the plain text elements of the Word file, which is
>often  enough to puzzle out the sender's intent.  For added fun,
>since most Word users employ the "fast save" feature, what you get
>is really like a RCS log of various editions of the document!  If
>you've gotten, for example, a "personalized" spam, you can see who
>else had personalized versions prepared.

Great!  Thanks!

Now how do I use this?  The file is an attachment
to a message currently in a Kmail folder.  If I click on the
attachment icon,

"KFM trying to open" pops up, followed by
"KFM<2> select a browser.

I would like to use strings word.doc | less if only I knew how.

Baby steps. Thanks for your patience.

Lindsay
02:50 PDT Thursday 5 October 2000 @97478