Take a look in the linux kernel directory tree.  There is a file in
there Documentation/scsi.txt that lists the module names and what they
do (sg = scsi generic, sr_mod = cdrom driver, etc).  Maybe Mandrake
had them compiled.

If not, here are the steps to compile a kernel with ATAPI SCSI
Emulation support so the CD burner can burn...

(+ = enable, - = disable)

===== Block Devices =====
- Include IDE/ATAPI Support
+ SCSI Emulation Support

===== SCSI Support =====
+ SCSI Support
+ SCSI Generic Support

That should be all you need.  Then look into cdrecord or cdrdao and
you'll be set.  The cdrecord page might have more info on setting up
the kernel for this also.

-Rob