Here's a reply I received from Jamie. He said I could forward it to
the list. -Dex

-----Original Message-----
From: linux [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2001 10:43
To: Dexter Graphic
Subject: Re: [EUG-LUG:20] RE: Q: Help with a hard drive

I think what ron was thinking here was, its easier to low level
format, than learn how to use fdisk... which is true... its kind of a
brute force technique. I prefer to do things the proper way, but heck
lets face it sometimes life is too short to waste your time tinkering.

Low level formatting can wreck a disk, but Ive had good luck doing
them... nowadays BIOS's do not include a low level format utility...
they used to. most drives can be lowlevel formatted but they void
the warrenty! Some lowlevel format utilities are specific to the make
of the drive (maxblast==maxtor, Lifeguard utilities==Western
digital), but they will work on other drives :)