Hi back -

If it's an external modem, turn it off.  If it's an internal,
send it AT&F0.  This works on external ones too.

A modem problem doesn't necessarily mean a bad Linux install.
It could be an illegal init string.  Edit your PPP script and
send a reset command AT&F0 and the phone number AT5551212.

Internal modems:  Just say no.

Bob Crandell
ComSource Associates, Inc.
Your IT Department
747 Willamette St.
Eugene, Oregon 97401
www.comsourceinc.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice:  541-345-0408
FAX:  541-345-0876

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 2/20/2001 10:38:20 AM >>>
Hi all --

I'm experiencing some problems with my modem under Linux.

When I try my dialup connection in GNOME or KDE, I get the
message
that the modem is busy. When I try ppp from the command line, I
get the
message that the connect script failed. When I use minicom, it
reports
that I'm already online. I pick up the phone handset and get a
dial
tone.

I even went so far as to uninstall Linux, format the drives and
reinstall. Same results.

The modem works under winblows :-(

Any ideas on how to reset the modem?

Woody