I like to use iptraf.  There is a debian package.  It will monitor based on interface,
port, ip, etc.  It will show packets/sec, kilobits/sec, and some other good
information.

If you logged into your firewall (remotely or not, doesn't matter), than ran IP traf,
you could get a listing of ip addresses using up your bandwidth.  Then you can track
the ip to the user from there.