Larry,

I don't have a projector, but I think Seth has access to one.  At least that's what
Mike Smith told me ;).  Here are some thoughts I had, and I'm forwarding this to the
euglug list as well for other people to chew on them.

In between presentations we'll also want small, ongoing activities.  Eye catcher
stuff.  I think iptables is probably a little above our intended audience.

Who is our target audience?  Beginning Linux users, and non-linux users, right?  This
definitely includes corporate IT people, students, hobbyists and everyone in between.

Perhaps something like 'how to use linux as your firewall (home or corporate)' instead
of iptables/ipchains.
'how to use the GNU Image Manipulation Program to create professional graphics'
'how to use linux as your regular operating system (games, sound, cd burning, email,
web surfing...)'
'non-technical: hear how we use linux (sys admins, home users, laptop users,
firewalls, servers: database, web, email, fax, remote access, dns, dhcp; games,
graphics, 3d)  Ie.  This is a 'what you can do with linux, because we are doing it!'
'non-technical: hear why linux is being absorbed by both companies and users.  (what
it's based on, how it got started, philosophies, the people behind the scenes, the
open source movement, the thousands of developers on the kernel, distributions and
many, many projects (source forge, freshmeat..) )'

As for ongoing displays:
screensavers in background
other graphics 'eye-catcher' programs, such as xaos
computers for people to get their grimy hands on and play with!
suggested command sheets for the above.  (ie, try the linux console.  Type these
commands to get some nice results, and see how it works).
Basic applications for people to use: netscape, star office, blender (3d program),
wine, or whatever.

So then we should ask the euglug group, what's the flashiest thing you can do with
linux?  Is it something you can bring to a demo day?  Is it something a pre-linux user
will understand?

Here's a quote I found looking at other 'demo day' articles:
'...LUGs have been instructed to be on their best behavior -- no Microsoft bashing,
the spokesman says. "There is a very fine line between being blatantly anti-Microsoft
and providing people with an alternative," he says. "Our main goal is to make people
more aware of the choices so they can make an informed decision as opposed to
following mass marketing hype." '
http://www.wideopen.com/story/522.html

Cory