First off a little info about how NT (and Windows 2000 as it is
nt) boots.  The NT boot loader goes to the "system drive" (System drive in
microsoft speak is the drive you boot from and the "boot drive" is the
drive that stores your system files.  Don't ask me why they heck they did
that) and is responcible for finding the boot loader (ntldr) and loading
it into memory then executing it.  This is why you get the missing ntldr
message when you try to boot off a floppy that was formated in an nt4 or
win2k machine.

        NT/win2k has put a some what limited feature in for dual booting useing
it's boot loader.  If you install NT/win2k on a machine that already has
an OS, like Win98 or Linux, it will take the old MBR off the "system
drive" (your boot drive) and write it to a file called Bootsec.dos.  Then
when you boot you get the nt "OS Loader" menu where you can select VGA
mode or at the bottem there might be a line for booting to the prevous
os.  I'm not sure what the default name would be but it's probably
something liem MS-DOS or Windows 98.  (This menu can be edited in the
boot.ini file on your "system drive")

        If you already had LILO loaded onto the disk it would then be in the file
and called back up and loaded like normal if you select that third
option.  The only problem here is that you can never again edit LILO.  I
am nearly a total linux newbie, but from what I understand this is a bad
thing.

        If LILO had someway of loading ntldr and starting it then you wouldn't
have any problems.  This is not my area of expertese.  I hope this clears up
some of the NT/2000 question you might have.

-Leo

Leo Clark
[EMAIL PROTECTED]